Yoga has been scientifically proven to be a highly effective therapy for almost all the diseases. Regular yoga practice helps us to keep physically fit and to stay in shape.
Studies have revealed that Yoga can ward off stress and can help us to stay peaceful as it enables us to gain more control over mind. It also makes our lives more disciplined.
Before you start doing yoga, here are some important things you need to know to get the best results and to avoid any harmful effects.
- It is essential that you spend few hours to study the basics of yoga before actually starting it.
- Remember, every yoga pose (asana) is not for everyone. If you have a physical challenge you should consult your doctor and guru before starting yoga as there are some poses which are not allowed for particular patients.
- Do yoga under the coaching of a good mentor. If you do yoga by reading a book and misinterpret something, it can be dangerous. It is better to attend classes offline but if it is difficult, there are many good and convenient online resources like yogajournal.com.
- Diet is an equally important part of yoga. Though there are no strict rules, you should follow the guidelines about the kind of food you should take.
- Always do yoga empty stomach or 3 hours(least) after having meals.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes and prefer using a yoga mat.
- Keep duration of yoga from 15 minutes to 1 hour. If your body allows, 90 minutes is the maximum limit.
- Make it sure there is some fresh air in the room where you are practicing yoga. It is better if you do it outdoors where there is no pollution. Also avoid direct sunlight and too much cold.
- Don’t get discouraged if you can not do every asana. Have patience and be persistent. With practice you will become an expert.
- Be a good learner. Ask your teacher if you can not make it.
- Don’t push too hard. Practice according to body needs.
Photo via pixabay